COPELMI is more than a hundred years old. In the origins of COPELMI, when coal mining was still developed with few technological resources, there is the foundation of Companhia Minas de Carvão do Arroio dos Ratos (CMCAR), in 1883. Since then there has been an evolution until COPELMI Mineração Ltda., a modern company facing today’s challenges.
1883: Foundation of Companhia Minas de Carvão do Arroio dos Ratos – CMCAR
1889: Incorporation of Companhia Estrada de Ferro e Minas de São Jerônimo – CEFMSJ
1917: Incorporation of Companhia Carbonífera Riograndense – CCR
1936: Formation of CADEM – Consórcio Administrativo de Empresas de Mineração [Administrative Consortium of Mining Companies], CEFMSJ and CCR
1941: Takeover of CCR by Companhia Carbonífera Minas do Butiá – CCMB
1948: (January 10, 1948) Incorporation of Companhia de Pesquisas e Lavras Minerais – COPELMI
1964: Takeover of Estrada de Ferro e Minas de São Jerônimo S.A. and Companhia CarbonÍfera Minas de Butiá by COPELMI.
1991: Corporate name changed to COPELMI Mineração Ltda.
1996: Corporate name changed to COPELMI Mineração S.A.
1998: Corporate name changed to COPELMI Mineração Ltda.